Monday, March 30, 2009

Aura - Justin Maller

Apologies for the late post.
I couldn't locate either of the two images I was searching for online of works I'd seen in person I felt impacted by, so I've chosen an online image I found in 2008 that still impacted me nonetheless.
Unity featured by Justin Maller (Australian Freelance Illustrator and Art Director) on deviantart.com is a collaborative work by Maller and others (un-named). I think for me, the aura this work holds is derived from the level of skill and and primary concern for aesthetics evident within the image. Beauty is the predominant feature of the work; a quality which I feel that in today's art community sometimes seems overlooked; sidelined by works geared towards the production of anti-art; the anti-aesthetic or largely conceptual works. It is this quality which has provoked me to re-visit the image upon occasion (I had it as my desktop background for quite a while), if only to appreciate the comforting sharpness of the work.

No comments: