Monday, March 30, 2009

Rene Magritte
[The lovers] 1928
oil on canvas
54.0 (h) x 73.0 (w) cm
When i was about 9 or 10 years old my family and i went to the National Gallery of Australia, in Canberra. I first witnessed this painting there. As soon as i stumbled upon it, my senses were heightened with intrgue. How could such a ghostly and sinister image be so beautiful at the same time. At this age i had no idea of the Surrealism movement or who in the hell "Rene Magritte" was! So really i was apreciating the art for what it was. And with such an innocent child-like perspective, it must have been the aura that struck me. I could never properly put into words how i felt that day, but i guess the "aura" must be there because i have never forgotten walking up to this painting and being completely dumbfounded.
This image ended up being the catalyst for how i would begin making my art years down the track, so really i owe this work alot!

No comments: