Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Jonathan Borofsky- art & narrative

As traditional narrative art has been mainly a focus on the retelling of biblical or historical events, modern contempery narrative art, as eleanor heartly states, seems to encompas the spectrum of fantasy, the artists personal stories or any thing that captures the artists imagination. Jonathan Borofsky, although in his art practice strived more in the direction of pop culture and minimalism, his gives narrative 'instructions' to the viewer in the titles of his works, such as the above piece from 1983 titled "I dreamed I was having my photograph taken with a group of people. Suddenly, I began to rise up and fly around the room. Half way around I tried to get out the door. When I couldn't get out, I continued to fly around the room until I landed and sat down next to my mother who said I had done a good job!"

No comments: