Monday, April 6, 2009

Fortune, Told!


Art Space 31/03

Gail Priest's exciting concept took my attention and I pined for a moment alone with the piece, I asked the fundamental question about prosperity,"Will I be rich, Will I get 1 millon dollars?" but I was also barking away about my bleak outlook in general at present. The opportunity to ratify some concerns with a projection of my personal wants to explain, was impassable.

The runes (I also had become fascinated with builders, tilers glue marks) drew Substance, Health and Consumption. Not a million dolllars but crazily enough, provided some affirmation of the need for a more positive future.

The Chinese practice of I- Chiing utilizes the total possible combination of three coins in the random act of falling and landing to their face values, There are 64 combinations and each has a meaning.

Confucius, Emperor of China, had the practice banned, angry at the procrastinations the game brought.

Runes originated in Norse times, the symbols of specific Nordic, pictographic letters carved into water worn rock, with one being left blank to incorporate Odin's presence and that which is the great unknowable. One way to divine one's fortune is to shuffle the runes in an opaque bag, while asking yourself a question needing answers, the single rune drawn will have an answer.

No comments: